Friday, November 4, 2011

Last Hunt Of The Season

I went out again with Becca this morning, we even walked through some of the thick stuff in search of the King. We flushed a few well out of range and Becca even flushed one off of the trail in front of her.  You should have seen the smile on her face! A little while after, Inga started to get hot near a pile of pine limbs off to the side of the trail bordering a pine plantation.  The spot didn't look like birds at all, yet Inga locked up on point.  2 grouse flushed out of the pile simultaneously, both of which flew directly over Becca's head who was walking about 10 yards behind me.  Needless to say, my finger never even took the safety off, and the birds both saw another day. We both shared a good laugh and continued on, bird-less. 

Later that day, I saw a grouse walking under a small pine tree along the trail.  I ran and got Inga and she immediately caught scent.  About 15 yards ahead of me, she was on point perfectly.  A woodcock and grouse flushed at the same exact time, and I hit both of them! Inga made an awesome point, and retrieve.  I had my first mixed double, and the last hunt of the season couldn't have been any better.


Until next season….

No comments:

Post a Comment